Canon U.S.A., Inc. - 1/7/2008
Canon USA Launches Green Initiative
Lake Success, N.Y., Jan 07, 2008 - Canon (Stock Price Web Site Related Articles Google)U.S.A., Inc., a
leader in imaging and office solutions, today announced an initiative that will combine the Company's latest
environmentally-conscious PIXMA, SELPHY and imageCLASS printer products and solutions under one
corporate brand name: Generation Green. In addition, Canon offers a variety of solutions in its PIXMA, SELPHY
and imageCLASS printer products that are integrated into this initiative such as paper saving technology,
minimized product packaging, energy saving measures and the industry's longest-running toner recycling program.
As part of its Generation Green campaign, Canon has also announced the availability of NatureStone(TM)
product packaging in select ink packs. NatureStone uses biodegradable limestone packaging, which reduces
the need for paper and other raw materials, resulting in a 45 percent reduction in natural energy, 65 percent
reduction in petroleum-based plastics and 50 percent reduction in emissions that impact global warming.
Canon's commitment to the environment and helping to make it more sustainable is an inherent part of the
Company's philosophy and subsequent product offerings. Generation Green is designed to provide partner
companies, enterprise customers and consumers a way to identify and learn about the various green products
and solutions Canon offers and in turn, can allow them to realize cost savings by being more energy efficient.
"Throughout our history, Canon has placed an enormous financial and human commitment to developing
products that are environmentally friendly," said Yuichi Ishizuka, senior vice president and general manager,
Consumer Imaging Group, Canon U.S.A. "Generation Green unites these efforts, enabling partners and customers
to easily identify products that are energy and environmentally efficient so that they may integrate them into
their businesses and lives to help save money, increase efficiency and help reduce their impact on the environment."
From partnering with the EPA's ENERGY STAR(R) and SmartWay (SM) programs, to stone packaging and two-
sided printing, Generation Green is divided into three product classification categories: Eco-Conscious, Eco-
Standards and Eco-Friendly. Among the benefits of each category:
- Two-sided printing (duplexing) technology can reduce paper usage up to 50 percent
- Compact product design and resized boxes improves shipping efficiency and can help to reduce CO(2)
- NatureStone(TM) uses biodegradable stone packaging, reducing the need for paper or other raw materials
- AIRSHELL packaging material for toner cartridges uses air cushioning to help reduce product sizes, improve
shipping efficiency and reduce CO(2) emissions generated during transport by 23 percent to 49 percent.
- All newest generation Canon PIXMA printers are ENERGY STAR(R) qualified
- All newest generation Canon PIXMA, SELPHY and imageCLASS printers continue to be RoHS compliant,
eliminating the use of specific hazardous materials
- In 2007, Canon received ISO 14001 certification which verifies that Canon operations from manufacturing to
sales subsidiaries are continuously minimizing their negative impact on the environment
- First in the printing industry to create a toner cartridge recycling program Recycled Canon toner cartridges are
100 percent recovered with zero landfill waste
- Power supply casings for current PIXMA printers are made from recycled plastics
- All newest generation Canon PIXMA and imageCLASS printers' user manuals are printed on 70 percent